Friday, May 14, 2010

Should I cut the nails of a finch , they seem long..I just got these birds.?

I recently aquired 2 finches,their nails seem long, should I trim them? If so, how short?Should I cut the nails of a finch , they seem long..I just got these birds.?
Yes - you should.. THOUGH, if you don't feel comfortable doing so you can make sure you get perches for them that are fat so when they land on it their feet can't wrap entirely around it. This helps to make sure their nails stay filed down constantly. Those skinny little perches are the culprits for disgustingly long nails.





If you'd like to try trimming them yourself best to catch the bird and have someone else hold it while you do the trimming so you can hold the foot while you clip. Make sure you use nail clippers specifically for birds (you can use the same ones they sell for cats, they're usually the same anyways) and just don't clip anywhere past the pink ';quick'; if you want to risk bleeding.Should I cut the nails of a finch , they seem long..I just got these birds.?
u should have a vet show u how 2 do it.if u cilp it 2 short the bird can bleed 2 death
when you are thinking of clipping their nails, you should ask a vet how to do it or someone experienced. usually you use special nail clippers. if you do trim them its best to do it above the quick, or the fleshy part with blood. if you do they'll bleed. you should have some substance that will help stop it just in case :)
You should ask a vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment