Friday, January 15, 2010

Are there long-term safety concerns when using acetone-free nail polish remover to clean the microwave?

I used acetone-free nail polish remover to remove popcorn stains in my microwave, but now I'm really paranoid that every time I use the microwave, it's causing the aroma or scent, or whatever you want to call it, to go into my food, which will therefore make it somewhat toxic (at least I think it would.) Or even just me opening the microwave door, I can still smell the nail polish remover (which smells awful/weird), even though I washed it down three times with soap. I know it seems like I'm being too paranoid, but I really want to know if there are any health concerns I should be worried about as a result of using acetone-free nail polish remover to clean out the microwave.Are there long-term safety concerns when using acetone-free nail polish remover to clean the microwave?
fire if long term useAre there long-term safety concerns when using acetone-free nail polish remover to clean the microwave?
Don't use nail polish remover to clean the microwave. Try this recipe:





Put 2 tablespoons baking soda in 1/2 cup of water. Microwave for 1 minute. Let sit for 3-5 minutes, and then wipe it clean.





It's so much safer.





Or, you can use 50/50 mix water and white vinegar to clean your microwave. I also use the same mix to clean everything else in my house: counters, stove, floors, table, bathroom, etc.
It isn't the way I would have cleaned it, but I don't think there is any thing but the awful smell to worry about. Fill a bowl with water and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice or 4 lemon slices. Cook on medium (50% power) for 5 minutes. That should take care of the smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment